Disclaimer

The views in this blog are mine personally, and do not reflect those of The Peace Corps or any United States Government Agency.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Wiza*, I Have A Real House!

* "To my surprise"

Training is coming to an intense and rapid close. The end of Language Immersion as well as the first week back with our host families has come and gone, including a colorful session on Nigerien superstitions. My personal favorite was "If a woman is struck by a pair of pants, she will not find a husband." Okaay...

Life in Niger is becoming easier day by day. The heat is no longer oppressive, for we are in the coveted "cold season." It's actually quite funny to see Nigeriens bundled up in winter jackets. Yesterday I glimpsed a little girl wearing a body-length puffy North Face coat with a furry hood. I would have registered the temperature at around 75 Farenheight. She reminded me strongly of the younger son in the classic movie "A Christmas Story" ... "I can't move my arms! I can't move my arms!"

I don't have a lot of time to write this and I apologize for the slapdash manner in which most of my recent posts have been published. In general I feel my ability to write and speak in English is deteriorating, so I hope by 2012 but you can still decipher my meaning! What I  hope to mention quickly is that our Site Announcement ceremony was today, and I am very pleased with the post I've been given. The village is one I have visited before (only briefly), and is considered to be the nicest house for a Peace Corps Volunteer (in the bush) in Niger. So, you know, I'll take it!

Honestly, I've adjusted well to living in a mud hut and had envisioned myself doing such for two years, but now I have to completely restructure my visions of my service. The house I'm given has 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room, with tile floors, ceiling fans, electricity, carpets and sofas. Wiza!* There are downsides to the post as well, so don't be too awed by my good fortune. The village has never had a volunteer and is unsure how to treat Americans, which can translate into unfriendliness. There is a large health center that I'll be affiliated with, also new to American presence, so I have my work cut out for me. I'll have to establish and represent the Peace Corps as best I can, as everyone knows the first impression counts immensely!

Another key upside to my post is that I am in the same region as many of my friends from training class. This means I can travel and visit with them easily, and see them once a month for Volunteer Meetings. It makes such a difference!

New Address:
Phoebe Uricchio
Corps de la Paix
B.P 144
Dosso, Niger
West Africa

I have to dash, but a fellow stageur has put up a blog with all our trainee biographies if you wish to see the rest of my class. Check it out!

http://jacobmbarela.wordpress.com/

Best -
Phoebe

No comments:

Post a Comment