Disclaimer

The views in this blog are mine personally, and do not reflect those of The Peace Corps or any United States Government Agency.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Quotes from the Week

From my journal, February 20th, 2011. Training in Thies. 

"I can only take one of my two cats to Tamba. I'm going to leave the fat, nice one, and take the stringy, mean one. I love him."

Yesterday aforementioned stringy mean cat launched herself out of a tree onto my head like an attack bomber. She is also female...something that took me way too long to realize.


Awa, 7 years old, yesterday: "I wish I could go to Africa too."

Me: "I wish you could go to school and pay attention once in a while." She didn't get it. 


My farmer and me, last week 
"Do you live with the people who hate electricity?"
"What?"
"In the US, do you live near those people? The people who hate power?"
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"You know...in Pennsylvania."
"Are you talking about THE AMISH?" 
Astonishing. He's never been to Dakar but he knows about the Pennsylvania Dutch. 

If you are watching the news concerning Senegal, don't be alarmed -  things in Tambacounda are stable and I am safe as can be. We're all crossing our fingers that the elections pass without further incident. I don't think I'd fare well in a second evacuation...

Until next time and with love,
<3 Phoebe


No comments:

Post a Comment